I wrote a Discord bot

(/home/alkaline) #1

Hey guys. Just wanted to announce some updates that will be coming to the Discord and this forum this weekend. I’m aware things have been slightly inactive but I’ve been coding something and working with Discourse to set something up that I’m going to deploy soon.

Introducing… the new @discobot.

As some of you may know, on the older Watercolor Games site, there was this bot called discobot that would teach you how to use the site. I’m not bringing that bot back, but I am working on my own discobot that has a completely different purpose. So what does it do?

Well, it’ll sit in our Discord server. It’ll prompt you to login to the forum within the Discord server. This can be done by typing discobot login. When you do this, you’ll get a link in DMs from discobot. Click it, and you will be prompted to log in. If you’re already logged in, like me, you will immediately be redirected to a page telling you that your Discord and forum accounts have been linked.

But what does that do?

Well, a lot. It lets you:

• Get a Discord role based on how active you are on the forum and your trust level.
  • If you’re a moderator here, you’ll get a Discord role for that too.
  • Same for developers and admins.
  • You’ll also be able to see your profile by typing discobot profile.
  • You will also gain access to the #early-access channel when you gain Trust Level 3.
  • Those with Trust Level 4 will also be able to join a voice channel that allows you to actually be in a livestream when I’m streaming, if said stream allows for that.

I’ll be working on getting it set up over the weekend - so expect some changes to the Discord. Though the bot is in very early development right now, over time it’ll get better - especially as the bot is ported from Node.js to a Discourse plugin and made more widely available to other communities who use the same forum software as us. For now, we are the first public guinea pig.

See the bot’s code on GitHub: