Tech specs thread

(/home/alkaline) #1

I’m not sure if this thread existed on the older forum or not but if it did I’m bringing it back. This is a place to brag about your computer and its specs. I’m gonna start with my Peacenet development environment.

• CPU: AMD A10-7700K @ 3.4GHz.
  • GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1050ti
  • RAM: 8GB DDR3
  • Motherboard: Some Gigabyte board, can’t remember the model off-hand.
  • Storage: 240GB SSD, 1TB internal hard drive, 1TB external hard drive
  • Keyboard/mouse: Some cheap Chinese keyboard+mouse with faux RGB.
  • Monitors: BenQ GW2270, ASUS VP228. Both are 22inch 1080p monitors with eye-care features.
  • CPU fan: Cooler Master Hyper D92. If you have my CPU and you’re using its stock cooler, GET THE HYPER D92. It’s WAY quieter and you’ll run your system way cooler.

My CPU is pretty mid-to-low-end by today’s standards. Other than that it’s very fast and a great development environment for Unreal Engine 4 and Peacenet. It does everything I need it to very well and it runs every game on my Steam library at max settngs just fine (other than GTA V.)

(Mike Honcho) #2

As in the “about me” thread, I did mention that I am very much an intense follower of computer hardware and that kind-of-thing. Therefore, I like my bang-for-the-buck builds.
It might be frowned upon, especially for being a self-proclaimed (i guess) beginner-level enthusiast, but I use a prebuilt as my daily driver, a laptop.
I need a laptop because I travel a lot and a portable setup is necessary, so the specs for it are below.

• Processor: Intel Core i5-8300h (Not a shitty u version, has all of the power, 4 cores, 8 threads, etc.)
  • RAM: 8GB DDR4 2666Mhz. This is a decent amount of ram, especially for the speed, but I will be looking for a 16GB upgrade by the end of 2019.
  • Storage: 1TB 7200RPM 2.5" drive. I plan to add a 512GB NVMe SSD (as this laptop supports NVMe) before the end of the year as well.
  • GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti. For the price, it is even surprising that I could even think of having this thing.
  • Display: 15" 1080p IPS integrated, 21" Dell 1080p IPS panel or 24" Acer 1080p IPS panel (depending on my location)

Of course, since this is a laptop, there is nothing fancy such as a motherboard or cooler or anything like that. It’s OEM. My laptop is the HP Pavilion 15 cx0056wm. My peripherals are a Logitech G403 mouse and a HyperX Alloy FPS with Brown switches.

My old desktop has the following:

• Processor: Intel Pentium G4560 ($45 on eBay when it was like 100 bucks) - It’s bad now with only 4 threads, but was fine when I built it.
  • RAM: 8GB Samsung OEM 2133MHz DDR4 (it was only $50 when ram was expensive)
  • Storage: $750 SeaGate Enterprise Drive ($15 on eBay)
  • Motherboard: MSI H110M Gaming ($35 on eBay open box) - Decent board, originally supported Skylake, but could support Kaby Lake with an update (luckily mine was updated by the seller before it was sold).
  • GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti: Still a decent card today, especially if you are on the lower end of the budget side and you want something used. My model was from ASUS and was pretty decent.

Obviously, my laptop blows away the old desktop, but I have plans for it in the future.

(/home/alkaline) #3

I love my desktop setup though, yeah, sometimes I wish I also had a laptop. I know I’ll definitely need one when I go into college full-time so hopefully by then I’ll have one.

I’ve always wanted to try to build a semi-portable desktop though - like one whose case is small enough to LITERALLY be on the top of a desk. Like the ones in the labs at my school. Though it’d be a game dev workstation and fully solid state. So essentially if I needed to move for a while I could just grab the tower and stuff it in a bag and set up at the new place for a more permanent yet still portable setup. Right now my desktop is a full tower so it’s very annoying even to get it out from underneath the desk to upgrade it.

(Mike Honcho) #4

You’d need to do some modding to achieve that, including a very flat case and PCI-e risers for a full dedicated GPU. Also, you might experience cooling issues. It would be heavy, but easier to move when it comes to size. (essentially, a more dense mini-tower)

(/home/alkaline) #5

I suppose that’s the point, honestly. If it were solid state, I could still drop it Linus Sebastian style and not lose data - there wouldn’t be many moving parts other than fans.