What music do ya's listen to while coding?

(/home/alkaline) #1

I can’t be the only one who blares music while programming. Given there’s a lot of coding mixes out there on YouTube, I can’t be the only one. What do you guys listen to?

I tend to listen to liquid drum’n’bass. It’s somehow both ambient and gets your blood pumping which I guess is the perfect kind of music for writing code and waiting for it to compile. Even makes scripting out Blueprints in UE4 entertaining.

(JPlexer) #2

I am listening to EDM as I relax with that music

(/home/alkaline) #3

At the present moment, I am listening to Infected Mushroom - Becoming Insane.

Did I mention I have a weird taste in music? :slight_smile:

(Logan Lowe) #4

Oooohhhh boy :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, if I’m just getting started, clearing out my mind, I listen to Two Out of Three Ain’t Bad by Meat Loaf, circa 1979.

It’s an odd song for getting warmed up - a song about a man in love with a woman that decides to leave her for another; the chorus says “I want you, I need you, but there ain’t no way I’m ever gonna love you; now don’t be sad. Cause two out of three ain’t bad.”. After leaving his woman, the man meets another woman and starts a new relationship. Things go south - the man pleads and begs her not to leave - but she has only a few words for him.

“I want you, I need you, but there ain’t no way I’m ever gonna love you; now don’t be sad. Cause two out of three ain’t bad.”

Meta AF.

Other contenders for this role are Steal Away by Robbie Dupree in 1980, and What a Fool Believes by The Doobie Brothers in 1978.

Once I’m all warmed up and want a nice upbeat song, I listen to - you guessed it - another breakup song! The King of Wishful Thinking, by Go West in 1992.

It’s got a nice upbeat tone, despite being about a couple breaking up. The man says that he’s the “King of Wishful Thinking” and will forget about his lost relationship. That’s definitely some wishful thinking.

Other songs that I usually play are;

Come on Eileen by Dexy’s Midnight Runners from 1982
Electric Avenue by Eddie Grant, also from 1982
Call Me, also by Go West, in 1985
We Close Our Eyes, also by Go West, also from 1985
Pop Muzik by M, in 1979
Africa by Toto, from 1982
Never Gonna Give You Up by Rick Astley in 1987 (I don’t think I had to point out who made it)
Together Forever also by Rick Astley also in 1987
and finally,
We Don’t Talk Anymore by Cliff Richards in 1979.

There are a lot more songs that I’d also count here but I don’t want to make this post SUUPPPPERRR long. It’s already ridiculous.

Finally, my favorite. I’ve been working on implementing a feature for the last 4 hours. Fixing bugs, making it all look nice. I compile one more time and test this new thing I’ve been working on. HELL YEAH! IT WORKS! Time to play Major Tom by Peter Schilling, made in 1983.

This song has an intense beat, all about a man (named Major Tom) apperently being flung into space to collect data on something ¯_(ツ)_/¯

All of this damn amazing beat builds up into an energy filled conclusion where Peter Schilling yells “Coming Home!” in the smoothest, most enthusiastic voice I’ve ever heard.

And that’s what I listen to when I’m writing code. Sorry this thread is longer than your english final! :wink:

(/home/alkaline) #5

This would have to be my go-to coding mix for Peacenet. Especially the stuff at an hour and 15 minutes in.

Basically two college lectures worth of liquid DnB.

(/home/alkaline) #6

And now I’m listening to alt rock. Jeez my taste in music is weird.