You know what really grinds my gears?

(/home/alkaline) #1

I really loved that one Family Guy movie where Peter had a news segment called “You know what really grinds my gears?”. In it, he just ranted about…well… what really grinds his gears. Let’s do that in this thread because why not.

You know what really grinds my gears? Those damn “Restrictions in effect” dialogs on school computers. I don’t know what it is, they just pop up for the most mundaine things ever. Like:

Using CTRL+N to create a new folder

Wanting to use the Run dialog.

Deciding to use bash instead of cmd.

wait what the hell nevermind that actually works.

Seriously though, I get that it’s a school computer and they don’t want younger people breaking the computer. But… Seriously? New folder is blocked if you use the hotkey!? What!? Why!?

Also, I’m the local administrator on this computer…

That’s what really grinds my gears. Back to you, Tom.

(Tobias SN) #2

My school not finding out how you’re supposed to open the PDF in a way that it can be edited on a Chromebook before the practice exam. I had to help several people with this, after it had started. This meant time wasted for both me and them.

(/home/alkaline) #3

You know what really grinds my gears? Signing into a St. Lawrence College lab computer and seeing Windows 10 do the old “Hi! We’re setting up your PC! This may take a few minutes…” thing. Screw off! I have class right now! Leave me alone!

(/home/alkaline) #4

Another thing that grinds my gears: Serif fonts. (mostly because my eyes suck.

I misread that as “Dong” and just about split a gut in the middle of class.

(/home/alkaline) #5

Third thing that really grinds my gears:

• I have a throwaway dev instance of… this website… at https://dalton.bitphoenixsoftware.com/ (named after Jack Dalton from MacGyver.)
  • MacGyver killed off Jack Dalton as a character right after I named that server. So now I have to rename it so that I can keep up the shtick of naming my servers after MacGyver characters.

And it’s not like I have much of a choice…

• This website runs on Cassian Server
  • Webber Server is another dev instance
  • Murdoc Server makes the server seem like it’s an assassin
  • MacGyver Server would get me sued by CBS.
  • Angus Server…that might work?

(Tobias SN) #6

Having to set the locale just to use Pipenv (A package manager for Python that merges virtualenv and pip with a bit of NPM), because it uses Click, and the default da.UTF-8 is not supported.

(/home/alkaline) #7

Seeing an IT guy and having an important question for him but he leaves as soon as you make eye contact with him. DAMN! The perfect person! Right when I needed him!

(Tobias SN) #8

How one of our IT people once asked me, and I quote, “Can you install Windows on Chromebook?”. And I legit thought up a way to boot into our installation environment (Which uses PXE) by using GRUB.